I believe that literature can be whatever you want it to be, whatever you get out of the writing. Which obviously means that a definition of what literature is, is going to be different for every single person. Its like asking what is music? Or what is art? No two people will give the same answer as each other. One person's opinion is going to differ from somebody elses, always has and probably always will. Everyone is unique and I don't particularly want to impress my ideas on anybody else, but here goes....
I think that fiction is literature. Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Comedy, Children's, Sci-Fi...any sort of fictional genre. Also I think that poetry is literature. Non-fiction is literature. Even films and television and plays have been written, making them literature. I don't think that books should be called 'classics'. Just because everybody has heard of a book/play, for example, it doesn't mean that that book/play is going to be every ones cup of tea. So I go back to what i said at the start - literature can be whatever you want it to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
But what about some films or television programmes, like eastenders would you consider that literature? even if the script can be abit..well..crap at times :)
ReplyDelete(still a good show tho, no offense to eastender lovers)
I competley agree with you, one person can call something art whereas another can call it something dead stuck to a canvas :P Every one is entitled to an opinion and just because that opinion may sound strange to you doesn't mean it isn't right! To me Fiction is definatly Literature and perhaps even plays, but not scripts :)
ReplyDeleteHaha, I suppose maybe I should draw the line at soaps. But then again it simply depends on people's opinion of that soap and how it makes that person feel and think. So I think that if any bit of writing can affect somebody or change the way they percieve things, it should be given the status of 'literature'.
ReplyDeleteSo anything can be studied at A level? What about works that are overtly political or even racist? Don't we have to reserve some moral judgement?
ReplyDelete